Saturday, April 02, 2005

Pope John Paul II died today

Pope John Paul II died today from complications related to the illness that had been plaguing him for months.

Septic Shock is what I believe they said arose from organ failure, which came about due to the urinary tract infection he got as a result of the aforementioned months-long illness. Sounds like a number of dominoes falling. At that age, and in his condition, I guess that is to be expected.

From the news reports, it sounds like he died peacefully, in his own bed, listening to someone read passages from the New Testament. Sounds like a great way to go. An example, even in death. If we could all go like that we'd be lucky.

I am not a Roman Catholic, but I have many friends who are/were/not practicing, etc. I have immense respect for the Roman church, but also had a few points of disagreement in terms of Dogma and doctrine. Nevertheless, I felt that the Pope was a shining example of Christ/God's love for the world and for humanity. He stood up against the Nazis, the Soviets, and even recently stood up to the Bush-Blair axis of hegemonic projection. I believe that Pope John Paul II was a man who had convictions, and consistently followed those convictions.

I think that today we in this world have lost a great leader. In heaven God is welcoming home a good and faithful servant and saying... "well done".

A.L.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home