Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I am a PROUD Canadian!

CTV.ca | Same-sex marriage bill passes in Commons

Perhaps what took place politically in both the USA and Canada tonight provides an interesting commentary on the vast differences between these two countries...

In the USA the President addressed the nation from Fort Bragg, NC to offer his newest re-definition of the mission in Iraq, coming back full circle to sell the baloney that it's all about September 11th again...

In Canada, same-sex marriage passed the final (major) hurdle on its way to becoming law, passing the House of Commons in a final 158 to 133 vote. Extending equal rights to Canadian homosexual couples.

There should be some credit given to Prime Minister Paul Martin for this development. Though I have been disappointed in Martin's public image and presence I think no one can deny that his government has skillfully maneuvered through the minefield that is a minority parliament. His legacy gained a nice piece of hardware for it's wall of fame tonight. While Harper and the Tories say they will bring the issue up once again in a free vote if they form the next government, I can't really see any government in the future having the cajones to take away minority rights. It's tough rhetoric to satisfy Harper's base, but I can't see it actually happening.

It makes me happy to see this come to fruition. There were points in the past few months when I was definitely uncertain that it would pass. Mostly I was worried that the government would fall, the session would adjourn, or the revolting backbenchers would turn the tables against the legislation. I am a happy Canadian and I can't wait to answer the questions tomorrow... perhaps some will be too embarassed to ask?...


A. Happy Liberal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home