Wednesday, March 14, 2007

So where's the hew and cry over the GROSS spending spree?

CTV.ca | Tory spending points to coming election: analyst:

I golfed with a fairly Republican family friend a few years ago who said he was very upset with how "un-conservative" the Republican party in general and George Bush in particular was behaving at the time (2004-05). His words were "spending like drunken sailors".

"$10 billion in spending in the past three months, according to a tally by The Toronto Star."

So I was struck by the irony here.

When Paul Martin's government made a number of spending announcements right before the last election, the Conservative Party toured the country with the mantra that the Liberals were "buying votes" and "spending with largesse".

So where is the outrage with this spending?

Could it be that really Conservative anger is fake? Or maybe it has to do with ideology? They simply think their spending is better than Liberal spending, bottom line.

Doesn't matter whether its Big Government, last time it was Liberal Big Government so the difference this time is that it is Conservative Big Government.

I guess the fiscal conservatives are fair weather conservatives?

Either all largesse spending is wrong, or its just a matter of disliking how and where the money was spent.

Given that the Conservatives are spending at a very rapid rate, and nobody is raising an issue with it, they must not really be concerned with curbing government spending. They just hate spending on things like childcare, and instead prefer spending on the Alberta Oil Patch.

Hypocrisy!

A.L.

5 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was afraid this day would come, but here we are. AL, I do not completely agree. I don't find what they are doing being any different than what any other (not just the past liberal government) would do in this situation. I do however admitt that I may be biased in saying this. I am still furious with the past Liberal Government, mainly Paul Martins lack of leadership quality [And believe me, that is a polite opinion of what I feel about him]. Due to this anger, I am more than willing to give another government a shot, and it isn't going to be the NDP. I am still willing to give Harper a chance, although I do fear him having a full majority. Nonetheless, he has done nothing that would prevent me from voting for him in the next election. I am a true believer that the government must do what is necessary to stimulate the economy, and as a result, I have no issue with money being spent in that area. It will create jobs and put money into the hands of families that can then afford better for those "under their roofs".

But, to the issue at hand, I am really interested in the up coming election. I'm sure the Liberals have the ability to take a majority, which I hope doesn't happen. They should still be held accountable for the "Bowlshit" they pulled last time around. And this does not necessarily include the Sponsorship scandle, but in my view, Martin's outright failure as a leader. It is time for a change. We just have to decide if that change will be the current Conservative Government where they are given more power, or the "New" Liberal Government with their new leadership, who cannot be any worse than Martin.

The spending only shows that Harper wants to win, and wants to continue leading our country. We can all agree on one thing....that is more than Martin was willing to do as a leader. He is probably the only politician in our day that has ever played Crazy Eights when he lost the Government....Shame on you Martin. What is sad is that we all wanted to believe in you as a leader, more than you were willing to believe in yourself...YOU ELECTED HARPER....MARTIN, IT WAS YOU!!!! So we have no right to complain now...Lets give Harper a chance. Let's give him the same respect as a leader we gave Martin. Harper is willing to be or PM...Can we really say Martin wanted to be our PM, or did he just want that title??

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger A.L. said...

I agree with most of what you say, but my point was that they pissed and moaned about the big Liberal spending, and complained that it was gross, typical Liberal spending....

Yet, here they are, spending their asses off.

A.L.

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed, they are spending. But the Conservatives have a right to bitch and complain, because there was proof the Liberals were stealing.

If there is proof the Conservatives are stealing, I'll bitch and moan foresure too. But since Harper doesn't have the history of Harper, I don't think we should hold him to the same standard...

AC

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger A.L. said...

Again, respectfully, you missed the point.

Go ahead and hammer the Liberals for the sins of the past. I have never excused that.

What is abhorrent to me is that all the people in the Conservative Party who claim to be fiscal conservatives pissed and moaned about all the extravagant spending when done by the Liberals and now they are absolutely silent.

That IS hypocrisy. Anyone has a right to call that when they see it.

A.L.

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again...partial agreement. I wouldn't call it hypocrisy as much I would just call it politics.

I guess I'm pissed mainly because the Liberals have killed their dynasty!

I don't think I am missing the point. Sure the Conservatives pissed and moaned to get votes. Or maybe they just followed Liberal Strategies that worked for them in the past.

Get off the sinking Liberal Ship...It's the Titanic [thats from C.S]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home