Tuesday, December 13, 2005

OK, so I guess we deserve this right...?

Click here for the full story.

So it seems that at least one hardcore religious right-wing-nut has stuck his nose in the Canadian federal election.

Should we be angry?... probably. Especially, if you dislike the hard-right social conservative elements of US Politics. If you are like me and you think the political environment in Canada is a breath of fresh air compared to the US, because of the absence of religion in politics - you should be concerned.

Do we deserve it? Maybe, since we were all pretty vocal about the US Presidential election of 2004. Now, we may not have meddled in it in such a way, but I am guessing I wasn't the only Canadian with boots on the ground in the election. Though, I do live in the US at present so I guess I have an excuse.

What makes this different from Clinton coming into Canada and talking nice about the Liberals, or our commitment to Kyoto (though paltry so far)? Or Bono coming to praise Paul Martin (last time)?

I am not sure it's different.

But, what is important to note in all of this, is how closely tied the hard-right elements of both Canadian and US politics really are.

His very attentive listeners were challenged by Reed to “get on your work boots and tennis shoes and go out there like it all depends on you, pray like it all depends on God and let’s usher in the greatest victory in the history of this country.”

A few Conservative candidates from the Toronto region also attended the event, including Ontario PC Jim Flaherty, John Carmichael, Rondo Thomas, Michael Mostyn, and Tim Dobson.


So, Harper may have softened his image, but you can bet the wing-nuts are still alive, active, and noisy inside the Conservative Party of Canada.

Let me be clear, (in the words of PM the PM), I am not against politicians letting it be known that they practice one religion or another, or visibly attending church/synagogue/mosque etc. What I can't stand is when a political position can only be defended as "it's God's will". Sorry, you've lost me. That's why I am so annoyed by the religious right's attempts to influence our election.

How many of their activists will try to pass themselves off as "regular Canadians"?

A.L.

2 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger Hishighness said...

Just to make you aware, I've set up a site to list posts and news stories about this if you would like more ammunition for your points.

http://standingonguardforthee.blogspot.com/

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger A.L. said...

Yeah, I saw that. Thanks.

That's where I found it.
Thanks for reading my blog, I really didn't know that anyone read it.

A.L.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home