Friday, December 30, 2005

Much A Do About Anything?

The Globe and Mail: Trading offers few clues for RCMP trusts probe:

Some are saying this could be the nail in Paul Martin's coffin....

I am not ready to make that prognostication. I think my thoughts are best summed up by the following quotes that appear at the end of this article:

“While the Minister of Finance ought to have better controlled the flow of information, I am doubtful that there was any criminal impropriety on his behalf,” said Jeffrey Singer, a corporate lawyer at Stikeman Elliott in Toronto who works on trusts. “There may have been violations of securities laws by those that traded on the basis of this information, if selectively made, but this is not clear cut and so I suspect few if any securities commissions will pursue this.”

Added Tom Caldwell, chairman of Caldwell Securities Ltd.: ``My gut feel is that by the time the smoke clears and a lot of money's wasted, I don't think you're going to find any clear villains.”
So, what will we have at the end of all this? Wasted taxpayer money... No clear answers... and possibly a new minority government formed by Harper....

Thanks Jack!

Again, I am not ready to say this is the final straw for Paul Martin's house of cards... but I am calling it significant. I thought it was close before, and this certainly made it closer.

A.L.

2 Comments:

At 3:08 AM, Blogger Red Tory said...

Significant... gee, ya figure?

Not sure if this issue will gain/hold traction though.

Already the media is reporting that the Libs are the "teflon administration" which would seem to indicate they're ready to blow it off.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger A.L. said...

Good point.

I think it really depends on how much "new" information comes out daily.

Without new information, the media will be hard pressed to continually regurgitate the opposition leaders' "corruption" lines.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home